Friday 3 May 2013



Hello everyone!
I told you some time ago that I’m a feminist. For this reason some people don’t pay attention to my complaints about certain topics, sometimes they told me that I’m usually overreacting about certain issues. I think that many issues are already naturalizing by the world, and a big one is the violence against women and this really make me get up in arms. When we speak about “violence” automatically think in a punch o something physical and explicit, but also exist the “symbolic violence” that the most of the people ignore systematically.  The symbolic violence is a theoretical concept development for the French sociologist Pierre Bourdieu, used for explain certain social behaviours and practices, that includes power dynamics and relationships, and this concept was define as 
“Symbolic violence is fundamentally the imposition of categories of thought and perception upon dominated social agents who then take the social order to be just. It is the incorporation of unconscious structures that tend to perpetuate the structures of action of the dominant. The dominated then take their position to be "right." Symbolic violence is in some senses much more powerful than physical violence in that it is embedded in the very modes of action and structures of cognition of individuals, and imposes the spectre of legitimacy of the social order.” (Wikipedia)
When at first I mentioned “the violence against women” I don’t speak only the domestic violence or physical violence, the most of the violence that women suffer is symbolic violence. The women not only have to endure situations like lowest salaries also the society defined what we can do or wear, and this really piss me off. One of the situations that really bothers me, is when some men scream "flattering phrases"in the street, in Chile we call this “piropo”. Most of the times this "piropos" aren’t nice or funny, are very rude and nasty. Although you can think that is normal or acceptable, is really another way of symbolic violence that sometime can really disturb and hurt to a woman, so:
-Women don’t be quiet!
-Men think about it before do it!

http://vimeo.com/36509870

Look this video and think about  it:


see you later!

1 comment:

  1. you have reasson, the last paragraph is very explanatory. I remember that when I was adolescent, and someone men screamed me "flattering Phrases" I feeled bad. that is my history.

    ReplyDelete